The Journey of a Sweet Little Boy and His Special Heart

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ready for 2014 and Homeward Bound

2013 wasn't a bad year by any means.  But I am ready to have this month behind us (and everything that led up to this month).  I am excited for what 2014 will bring for our family and this little boy of ours with his new found energy.
Dr. Rome gave us the clear to fly home tomorrow.  We were nervous because his appointment took forever.  As we waited for the doctor I really didn't know what I would do if they re-admitted us.  It is strange how you just deal with whatever is handed to you, but I really think I would have crumbled if we had to stay here another day. 

I have a lot of respect for this man and equal respect for his wife.  His wife was the attending physician on the floor when Logan's lungs collapsed.  I was reminded today again that Logan truly had angels watching out for him.  It has been a hard thing for me to process that his surgery went well, but in something so simple as a chest tube being pulled we could have lost him in minutes.  It's a good thing I didn't understand everything that was going on at the time.  I was worried Logan wasn't getting enough oxygen and that they would have to intubate him.  Really the concern was that Logan would go into cardiac arrest at any moment.  With the Fontan anatomy the ONLY way for blood to reach the heart is through the lungs because they have re-routed the arteries to bypass the heart and flow to the lungs.  By having his lungs collapse there was no longer a pathway to his heart.  I get the sense everyone is amazed at the true miracle it was that Logan did as well as he did and doesn't have any lasting effects from it. 
I am still a little nervous about coming home.  We have checked with every doctor about flying home and they all say it is safe.  But I will be a nervous wreck I am sure until we are there.  And then Logan adjusting from sea level to altitude is another thing that worries me. 
I am so happy to have the Fontan behind us, but I can't say it has lessened my worries and anxiety... YET.  I know that will come with time.
I am looking forward to celebrating the New Year with my entire family together. 
Goodbye Philadelphia!

1 comment:

  1. Ok you three, we've been following you, but didn't want to contact you and bug you. We are ready to hear all about it in person and visit with you as soon as you all are ready. We'll give you however many weeks you need! Suffice it to say, you'r family are our hero's. We admire and love you all!
    The Montague's

    ReplyDelete