The Journey of a Sweet Little Boy and His Special Heart

Monday, December 23, 2013

Our Day in Pictures

I knew we were in for a long day of keeping a 3 year old entertained in a hospital when Logan woke me up at 3 a.m. and wanted to play with play dough.  I could not convince him to go back to sleep so we finally compromised and watched Cars 2, but then he would get mad at me if I closed my eyes.... Oh Joy.  I ended up just spending the rest of the night in his bed with him.  He is really needing that extra security and comfort.
On the docket today with physical therapy was stairs.  They wanted him to walk up 3 stairs and watch that Brad and I knew how to help him without hurting his healing chest.  Logan ended up walking the entire flight of stairs and then kept going and walked another flight of stairs.  I might have teared up a bit seeing this.  Logan has never been able to climb our stairs without taking a break or being completely winded at the top.  Today his muscles were weak, but cardiac wise he was so strong.  It was awesome.

We were trying to tell him he could walk down the stairs now, and he said no and went to walk up the next flight!
I am so excited for the things this little boy is going to be able to do.  There is going to be no stopping him.

Music therapy today was adorable.  He sang "You've Got a Friend in Me" from Toy Story while strumming the ukulele.  I wish I knew how to post the video.  He rubbed the skin off his finger he was playing so hard.  He loved this.

I don't think I need to explain why a pair of pants would need to be so contained.... lets just say you could smell the stink from our room down the hall. (At least things are finally moving again)!
Brad and I had to take a CPR/Choking class.  I just renewed my CPR certification a few months ago, but I will take refreshers whenever I can.  I pray it is something I never have to use.  It is a little un-nerving when they refer to the manikin as your child though.. it really makes you pay close attention.

We loved his nap position today.  He is finally able to move his body on his own, he loves wrapping his legs up!

Vitals were taken in McQueen tonight.

And this has been our battle of the day.  Taking meds by mouth.  He doesn't want ANY of it.  Even the most insane amount of bribery and toys couldn't get him to take Tylenol.  This is the one thing Logan has figured out he has control over, and I have a feeling it is going to be a huge battle.  We got away with sneaking some crucial meds in apple sauce, but I think he will catch on to that too.  He is still able to get some meds through his IV, but if we ever want to come home he needs to take them by mouth.  Any tricks???
From a medical standpoint he is holding steady.  He is draining less, and we hope to keep seeing that trend.  He was negative in his input vs. output yesterday so we aren't sure if the decreased draining is because he was too dry overall, but we should see more tomorrow if this is still a downward trend.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.  The doctor referred to this part of the recovery as the tedious part of the Fontan recovery.  He is stable, and cardiac wise looks great, we just need him draining less.
They are less worried about  his fenestration, they say it has flow though it so we most likely will not have to visit the cath lab.  It is now just waiting for that chest tube to come out and then making sure the fluid stays away!


  1. Here's to having more great nurses! Sending more love.

  2. HURRAY! I love this post! Have an awesome day