The Journey of a Sweet Little Boy and His Special Heart

Sunday, October 2, 2011


My little boy is sick, sick, sick.  And I am so tired of seeing him suffer.  It has been a LONG week.  First off, I took him to the Doctor 2 1/2 weeks ago and he had another ear infection.  We finished the 10 day cycle of the antibiotic and he was still acting like something was wrong so I took him back to the Dr. Wednesday afternoon.  Sure enough the ear infection hadn't cleared up (not a surprise since he has been on antibiotics almost constantly since June).  So our option was to try a stronger oral antibiotic or start the Rocephin shots.  We decided to try and avoid the trauma of the shots.  He had one day of the oral antibiotics until he came down with the stomach flu and couldn't keep anything down.  So I called the Dr. Friday to ask what I should do about him missing his doses of the antibiotic.  He wanted to see him.  So I took him in and somehow between Wednesday and Friday he developed an ear infection in the other ear.  So now we are dealing with DOUBLE ear infections, the stomach flu, diarrhea- oh and did I mention he is cutting his "I" teeth too.  My poor little guy is miserable.  We had to start the Rocephin Shots (antibiotic shots) since he hasn't really eaten since Thursday he can't take an oral antibiotic.  So for the last 3 days we have to go to the pediatrician for 2 shots a day.  Logan now cries the minute he sees the nurse.  It is breaking my heart.  He just wants me to hold him ALL day.  If Brad even tries to talk to him he will turn his head and look away.  So my house is a mess, I haven't put makeup on for 3 days now, and my poor kids are so stir crazy.  (Did I mention Ashlyn and Tanner had the flu too).  The silver lining... the kids were pretty good about making it to the bathroom.  We only had to scrub the carpet twice!
We are now going the route of tubes for Logan.  He has had 6 ear infections in 4 months (2 of those requiring 2 cycles of antibiotics).  We thought we had it figured out when we took him off dairy, but I guess that wasn't what was causing them.  We will wait to hear from Primary Children's tomorrow to see when they can get him in.  We have been working with his pediatrician trying to figure out how to avoid tubes and ANOTHER time having to be put under anesthesia, but I think it is our only option now.  Since June we have had 21 visits to his pediatrician- that is more than 1x/week.  INSANE!
We also see the cardiologist on Tuesday for his 6 month check.  I pray all of this is just "normal" baby stuff and not related to or effecting his little heart.  Wish us luck, and I'll keep you posted.

We have spent hours in the swing.  It is about the only place other than my arms that he isn't crying or whimpering.  He will let me push him for 30 min. at a time.  I just pull up a chair and push away.  Something about it must be soothing. 


  1. Oh Heidi I'm so sorry!! Berk had to go the tubes route. It didn't stop him from getting em, bummer, but the otic drops were a way better way to get the abx on board. So sorry you're home bound. Hugs hugs and more hugs.

  2. On my goodness, I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine how frustrating that would be. Poor little Logan and poor mom and dad. I hope they find out what's going on and they can solve it without too much discomfort for Logan. Hang in there!