The Journey of a Sweet Little Boy and His Special Heart

Friday, October 28, 2011

Goodbye Ear Infections

Logan had tubes put in his ears this morning at Primary Children's Hospital.  Everything went really well.  We are hoping this helps him keep those blasted ear infections away that make him so miserable, and we also hope to see some improvement in his desire to walk and talk. 
The procedure was really as easy as everyone told us it would be.  The drama all came from my anxiety beforehand.  I was stressed out because they wait until 3 p.m. the day before to tell you what time he is scheduled to go in.  That is so inconvenient when you are trying to find places for your other kids to go.  When they said we were first case I was happy because that meant Logan had less time he had to go without eating, but also stressed because that meant we had to leave our house by 6 a.m.  That is a lot to ask a neighbor to be awake and take your sleeping kid at 6 a.m. not to mention a grumpy kid that had to be woken up.  Thankfully Brad's parents were willing to drive out here at 5:30 a.m. to stay with the kids and get them out to school and friends before they headed over to their shift at the Temple. 
I wasn't necessarily nervous about the actual procedure, but I was nervous how Logan would respond to being at the hospital.  I think he has a little post traumatic stress from all the previous hospital visits (I know I do).  He doesn't respond well to people in a full set of scrubs... they usually poke him :) and he remembers those hospital cribs.  My parents have a crib at their cabin that looks similar to a hospital crib (lighter wood and thin slats) he won't even go in the room with the crib, and has a full on panic attack if you try to put him in it!
The toys in all the waiting rooms kept him pretty occupied, along with watching Elmo on the Ipad!  I did ask that they give him versed to make the hand off a little less traumatic.  Brad didn't really want to give it to him, but I think it made it easier.  I really didn't want him scared by anything, and he would be if he realized a stranger was taking him from me.  By the time they wheeled him away in the wagon he was so relaxed and out of it that he didn't realize I wasn't with him.  We waited in the waiting room for all of about 20-30 min. until we could go back with him.  He was just waking up when we got there, and wasn't super happy, but apple juice calmed him right down.  He guzzled the first 4 oz. and then was mad that we wouldn't give him more!  All said and done we were in and out in about 4 hours... wish every hospital visit was that easy!


  1. I'm glad everything went well, and you were in and out pretty quick. I hope Logan feels better!

  2. 4 hours??? That is seriously a record! And surgery in the same day? Wow! Glad he is doing well!