The Journey of a Sweet Little Boy and His Special Heart

Monday, November 1, 2010

What's New???

Not much.... we are still waiting.  Sometimes I feel like all I do is wait around for doctors to call.  We have heard back from one doctor and we should hear back this week from the surgeons that we are asking for their second opinion. We were warned that sometimes getting a second opinion can make you more confused... and confused I am.  But I want at least 2 doctors to agree on the same thing before I send my son in for another major surgery.  I also want the MOST optimistic solution for my little guys heart.   
Logan still looks great.  Talking with the one doctor he did tell us that Logan already has slight Pulmonary Hypertension.  We have looked at his Oxygen Saturation levels being high as a good thing because he hasn't had to be on oxygen, but the downside of that is that his lungs are flooded with too much blood.  So this keeps his sats high, but is what causes the pulmonary hypertension.  He is also sweating like crazy when he eats and sleeps.  I finally got a hold of his doctor today and he increased his Lasix so hopefully that helps with the sweating and the excess blood in his lungs. 
Logan has been a little stinker lately at night.  He is waking up WAY too much!  And with heart babies it's not a simple let them cry it out solution, so we have had a challenge on our hands.  Some nights I just end up sleeping in his room on the floor because it is easier than getting out of bed and walking in there every hour. 
We have also been trying rice cereal to help keep him full longer, but he HATES it!  It doesn't matter if I make it with breast milk, formula, or water.  He spits it out and then clamps his mouth shut!  We even tried the kind with bananas in it.  He is so stubborn!
So not much news now, but HOPEFULLY this week.  I don't think my anxiety levels can stand another week of waiting by the phone for doctors to call. 

1 comment:

  1. Amen Sista,
    I feel for you on the waiting game. I thought it was just Severins Cardio. and I was going to switch but it sounds the same for everyone. They scheduled his heart cath on the 22nd- after I called them. We were hoping to have his surgery on the 19th. So the Dr. is trying to pull some strings. And I wait to plan my November.